Position: Senior California Policy Manager
Organization: Safe Routes to School National Partnership
Employment and Classification: “At will” employment status; Full-time salaried position
Location: Your home office within commuting distance of Sacramento
Applications: Applications are due on Friday, April 10, at 5pm PDT and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received by Thursday, April 2 will be considered for interviews as soon as April 3. (Specific details on how to apply are included below.) You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as there will be rolling interviews.
Start Date: Early May 2015
Summary: Join the Safe Routes to School National Partnership (National Partnership) and use your professional talents and personal passion to advocate for safe walking and bicycling to and from schools and in daily life, to improve the health and well-being of America’s children and to foster the creation of livable, sustainable communities.
The Senior California Policy Manager serves as the lead staff for the National Partnership’s state policy work in California. As such, the Senior California Policy Manager maintains the California network and leads work with state agencies and the state legislature on strategies to increase funding and improve policies that result in more infrastructure and programs to support safe walking and bicycling for children and families, especially in lower-income communities, throughout California. The Senior California Policy Manager will also provide Safe Routes to School program and policy technical assistance as needed, and collaborate closely with other California-based staff.
For more information about the available position, please see the detailed job description.
- Minimum of four years proven success in a policy, campaign or advocacy position
- Experience with network/coalition building to develop collaborations and unified action to create policy changes
- Knowledge of relevant California laws
- Knowledge of Safe Routes to School, transportation, equity and public health issues
- Ability to be a public speaker, comfortable presenting in front of large groups
- Ability to work from home, and to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Track record of supervising complex projects with multiple stakeholders, and organizing/motivating volunteers and groups
- Experience in meeting facilitation
- Experience with providing technical assistance to help groups advance their goals
- Organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated, creative, detail-oriented and energetic
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree in related field preferred
- Experience in fundraising a plus
- Proficiency with PCs and with MS Office software
Background: The Safe Routes to School National Partnership was founded in 2005 and is a network of more than 700 organizations. Our mission is to advance safe walking and bicycling to and from schools, and in daily life, to improve the health and well-being of America’s children, and to foster the creation of livable sustainable communities.
Annual Salary: The position offers a starting annual salary in the range of $65,000 to $75,000/year (depending on experience) plus health insurance (medical, dental and vision) benefits, paid time off, and optional participation in a deferred compensation plan. A PC computer, telephone and internet access will be provided. All Safe Routes to School National Partnership employees work from home offices.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three writing samples in one PDF file to: email@example.com. The PDF file shall be named as follows: [LastName]_CAPolicyMgr.pdf. Ensure that the subject line of your email includes the text “Senior California Policy Manager.” We do not accept telephone or email inquiries.
Applications will be accepted until Friday, April 10 at 5pm PDT, but applications received by Thursday, April 2 will receive first consideration. Applications must be submitted in the format indicated in order to be considered. Receipt of applications will be acknowledged with an email reply. The position will be open until filled, and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Visit www.saferoutespartnership.org for more information about the Safe Routes to School National Partnership.
Safe Routes to School National Partnership is an equal opportunity employer.