Now Hiring: Southern States Coordinator
Position: Southern States Coordinator
Institution: Bikes Belong Foundation
Employment and Classification: “At will” employment status; full-time salaried position. Grant-funded, currently through December 2014.
Location: Your home office, preferably in a Southern state
Applications: Applications are due on January 10, 2014 and must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Specific details on application requirements are provided below. You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as there will be rolling interviews.
Start Date: Early February preferred, must start by the end of February
Summary: Join the Safe Routes to School National Partnership (National Partnership) and use your professional talents and personal passion to advocate for safe walking and bicycling to and from schools, and in daily life, to improve the health and well-being of America’s children and to foster the creation of livable, sustainable communities.
The southern states coordinator plays a critical role supporting the successful execution of the Safe Routes to School state network project, in partnership with the state network manager and state advocacy organizers. The primary goal of the southern state coordinator is to maximize the effectiveness of the state network project in four southern states (Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee) in collaboration with field staff already located in those states. In addition to supporting the policy work in four states, the southern states coordinator will facilitate opportunities for multi-state collaboration leading to regional policy victories, increasing the profile of the National Partnership in southern states and cultivating new funding partners.
For more information about the southern states coordinator position, please see the detailed job description.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in state and local advocacy.
- Experience designing and executing campaigns for policy change.
- Experience in building coalitions and working with allied organizations to achieve policy change goals.
- Experience identifying and cultivating earned media opportunities desired.
- Demonstrated ability to think “outside the box” desired.
- Knowledge of Safe Routes to School programs or active transportation a plus.
- Experience working in a collaborative manner with internal and external team members.
- Experience with development of new funding partners (individuals, corporate and foundation) strongly preferred.
- Strong writing skills, including writing for legislative and non-legislative grassroots audiences.
- Ability to travel to group meetings and conferences as required. Anticipated travel to be approximately two to four out of state trips a year and regular travel (without overnight stays). Occasional work in the evenings or weekends to attend receptions or events.
- Ability to work from home, to work independently (self-starter) and as a team member with minimal supervision.
- Self-motivated, organized, strong attention to detail, creative and energetic.
- Ability to follow-up in a timely manner and to work under tight deadlines/schedules.
- Proficient with PCs and with MS Office software.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
Background: The Safe Routes to School National Partnership was founded in 2005 and is a network of more than 600 organizations. Its mission is to advance safe walking and bicycling to and from schools, and in daily life, to improve the health and well-being of America’s children and to foster the creation of livable, sustainable communities. The National Partnership is hosted by the non-profit Bikes Belong Foundation.
Annual Salary: This “at will” position offers a starting annual salary of $48,000 to $60,000/year, depending on experience, plus health insurance benefits, paid time off and optional participation in a deferred compensation plan. A PC computer, telephone and internet access will be provided. All Safe Routes to School National Partnership personnel are employees of the Bikes Belong Foundation and work from home offices.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit (via email) a cover letter, resume and three writing samples in one PDF file to email@example.com. The PDF file shall be named as follows: [LastName]_SouthernCoordinator.pdf. Ensure that the subject line of your email includes the text “Southern States Coordinator.” We are not accepting email or telephone call inquiries.
Receipt of applications will be acknowledged with an email reply. Applications will be accepted until January 10, 2014. Applications must be submitted in the format indicated in order to be considered. Applying soon is encouraged as the position will be open until filled, and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Visit www.saferoutespartnership.org for more information about the Safe Routes to School National Partnership.
Bikes Belong Foundation is an equal opportunity employer