Now Hiring: Federal Policy Manager
Position: Federal Policy Manager
Institution: Bikes Belong Foundation
Employment and Classification: “At will” employment status; full-time salaried position
Location: Your home office within the Washington, DC metro area
Applications: Applications are due on January 6, 2014 and must be sent to email@example.com. Specific details on application requirements are provided below. You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as there will be rolling interviews.
Start Date: Late January or early February
Summary: Join the Safe Routes to School National Partnership (National Partnership) and use your professional talents and personal passion to advocate for safe walking and bicycling to and from schools, and in daily life, to improve the health and well-being of America’s children and to foster the creation of livable, sustainable communities.
The federal policy manager plays a critical role in representing the Safe Routes to School National Partnership on Capitol Hill and with federal agencies. The federal policy manager will regularly meet with Congressional offices and key federal agencies to convey the needs and importance of having Safe Routes to School and to advocate for policies and funding levels that are supportive of Safe Routes to School, active transportation and multi-modal transportation options. This position is also responsible for tracking the implementation of the recent MAP-21 transportation bill, researching and writing policy reports and papers on Safe Routes to School and related topics and producing blog posts and web content. The federal policy manager will collaborate closely with national and state coalition partners to advance active transportation policy and funding. The federal policy manager reports to the deputy director.
For more information about the federal policy manager position, please see the detailed job description.
- Minimum of four to five years’ proven experience in legislative or government affairs, with a strong preference for experience with federal transportation policy.
- Track record of analyzing and developing federal legislation and legislative campaigns.
- Experience in building coalitions and working with allied organizations to achieve policy change goals.
- Knowledge of Safe Routes to School programs or active transportation a plus.
- Effective public speaker comfortable presenting in front of large groups or one-on-one.
- Strong writing skills, including writing for legislative and non-legislative grassroots audiences.
- Ability to travel to group meetings and conferences as required. Anticipated travel to be approximately two to four out of state trips a year and regular travel (without overnight stays) in the DC region. Occasional work in the evenings or weekends to attend receptions or events.
- Ability to work from home, to work independently (self-starter) and as a team member with minimal supervision.
- Self-motivated, organized, strong attention to detail, creative and energetic.
- Ability to follow-up in a timely manner and to work under tight deadlines/schedules.
- Proficient with PCs and with MS Office software.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
Background: The Safe Routes to School National Partnership was founded in 2005 and is a network of more than 600 organizations. Its mission is to advance safe walking and bicycling to and from schools, and in daily life, to improve the health and well-being of America’s children and to foster the creation of livable, sustainable communities. The National Partnership is hosted by the non-profit Bikes Belong Foundation.
Annual Salary: This “at will” position offers a starting annual salary of $48,000 to $60,000/year, depending on experience, plus health insurance benefits, paid time off and optional participation in a deferred compensation plan. A PC computer, telephone and internet access will be provided. All Safe Routes to School National Partnership personnel are employees of the Bikes Belong Foundation and work from home offices.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit (via email) a cover letter, resume and three writing samples in one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. The PDF file shall be named as follows: [LastName]_FederalPolicyManager.pdf. Ensure that the subject line of your email includes the text “Federal Policy Manager.” We are not accepting email or telephone call inquiries.
Receipt of applications will be acknowledged with an email reply. Applications will be accepted until January 6, 2014. Applications must be submitted in the format indicated in order to be considered. Applying soon is encouraged as the position will be open until filled, and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Visit www.saferoutespartnership.org for more information about the Safe Routes to School National Partnership.
Bikes Belong Foundation is an equal opportunity employer